Batsto Village, August 12, 2012
Batsto Village is in Batsto, NJ and part of the Wharton State Forest. The village existed first by the Lenape Indians and in the ensuing years it was owned by Charles Read, William Richards and finally by Joseph Wharton. through it's history it was known for having the first bog iron furnace and during the Revolutionary War it supplied the Conotinental Army with munitions, camp kettles, iron fastenings and fittings for artilliery caisons.
The Richards eira operated the village for 92 years and most of what is there today is from that era and the family facilitated the establishment of the post office which opened in 1852. During that time it was noted for the production of pig iron, cast iron water pipes and its specialty castings such as firebacks.
Joseph Wharton bought the village in 1876 and made considerable changes to the village. He built the sawmill and underground silo. He enlarged the mansion and transformed its appearance to reflect the Italianate style of architecture. He also cleared vast areas of land to cultivate crops, including cranberries. By the end of the century Batsto had become Wharton's "gentleman's farm.
After the death of Joseph Wharton in 1909 and his vast holdings in the Pine Barrens were managed by the Girard Trust Company until 1954 when the State of New Jersey purchased the land. Today his former lands comprise the cor of Wharton State Forest.
Batsto Vills is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.